Because our work facilitates clinical trials, our localized platforms needed to be 100 percent error-free. By partnering with Ulatus to QA test our 26 localizations, we knew that we would achieve our goals of complete precision. We are pleased with the Ulatus team’s responsiveness, ability to adapt to quickly to changing circumstances, and overall quality of work they performed. We are looking forward to partnering with Ulatus on additional projects, including end-to-end translation and localization testing on new applications.
Medable’s mission is to get effective therapies to patients faster by providing an end-to-end, global cloud platform that allows sponsors, patients, providers, and clinical research organizations to work together in clinical trials.
Before Medable contracted with Ulatus, we had successfully completed projects for a few of the company’s clients, including Novartis and BeiGene Pharmaceuticals.
To efficiently manage the testing, we had to work very closely with the client in order to understand their application backend structure. As part of this, we had to create different credentials and test the product as both patients and physicians. Medable gave Ulatus access to its slack messenger program so that updates and questions could be resolved in real time. We were virtually available for them around the clock with dedicated project managers supporting the client through the slack messenger on their mobile phones.
As part of the testing, we had to work with application files that needed to be pre-engineered correctly so that placeholders and string format specifiers could be accurately converted to tags, while maintaining certain strings in their current state. To achieve this, Ulatus created certain RegExp inside our translation management system (TMS). Additional requirements included entering the testing bugs onto the client’s Jira platform.
The extensive testing included focusing on both translation accuracy and functionality of the applications. We tested each localized application and searched for the following error types: missing translations, inaccurate translations, truncations, over-localizations, missing text, inconsistent terms, encoding issues, data and time formatting, hardcoded elements, different names for the same elements, and user interface defects.
The work was achieved in two phases. First, we successfully went through QA protocols for applications that were localized for Medable’s end clients. Second, we performed localization QA for Medable’s base application, which was in 26 languages.
Because we were working with multiple languages and had the dual task of checking translation accuracy plus functional issues, we decided to use a combination of SME linguists and native testers, who had expertise in testing mobile applications. The SME linguists were provided with the translation of the application directly inside our TMS, and the native testers were given the task of going through the application on their mobile devices. The translation corrections and other bugs were then vetted by our project manager. Throughout the process, the client remained involved and worked closely with our team.
The client provided us with access to the test builds via AppCenter for Android and Testflight for iOS. By creating a common account, our project manager ensued that everyone had access to the same builds. We had to upload bugs onto the client’s Jira platform on a rolling basis. Once the issues were resolved at their end, we were asked to perform regression testing.
The testing was completed in one week, which was a challenge, considering that the size of the applications varied, and we had several localizations to test.